FSC stands for the Forest Stewardship Council which is a non-governmental organisation dedicated to promoting responsible forest management worldwide.
Forests are important as they provide us with countless items which we take for granted for in our day-to-day lives. Things like books, tissues, houses, furniture and many more everyday objects are only possible because of our forests, so it therefore is vital that we take care of them and ensure that they are here for the foreseeable future. After all, they also provide other essentials such as the oxygen we breathe, weather regulation and biodiversity.
The FSC runs a global forest certification system which allows both manufacturers and end consumers to know that they are receiving a wood product which has come from a reputable and sustainable forest source. Their mission is to “promote environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world’s forests”. *
Why choose FSC?
Having this certification means that the end product can have the FSC logo printed on it, which people have become increasingly used to seeing over recent years. The logo indicates that you are ensuring that certified source forests remain alive for future generations.
The importance of sustainability and the environmental impact we have as manufacturers and consumers has never been more important than it is today. The certificate allows transparency throughout the supply chain, ensuring everyone knows where the wood is sourced from and that it is done so in an ethical and sustainable manner.
Why should we buy products with the FSC logo on them?
- It means you can buy a range of different types of woods from different areas of the world, knowing they come from a sustainable source.
- The logo guarantees that the harvested trees are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
- Some areas of forest are completed protected, meaning rare animals and plants have a permanent safe haven.
- FSC is a forest certification scheme that is endorsed by WWF, Greenpeace and The Woodland Trust.
- It also protects the rights of indigenous people that live and use the forest. These areas, which potentially could also be sacred sites, are not areas used for felling.
- FSC assures that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits of forests and wood products.
- Local workers are given the correct training, the right to form unions, safe working environment and decent pay.
- Forest owners are often obliged to contribute to the support of local communities (e.g. the development of schools in the local area).
- The wood is tracked through all stages of production, from the forest all they way to the consumer.
Why forests need proper management
Forests are so important to us and are vital to our ecosystem. They are significant for many reasons including:
- They can mitigate climate change. They store carbon and remove a significant amount of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
- Sustainably produced wood and paper products are a renewable and environmentally friendly option compared to some materials, such as plastic.
- They help nature to cope with natural hazards (e.g. heavy rains, flooding and strong winds), acting a barrier. They also help reduce and control the risk of soil erosion as well as landslides.
- They boost biodiversity (diversity of species of plants, insects and animals on earth).
- They play a key role in the protection of the world’s water resources. Forests absorb water as rainfall and through their roots in the ground. Through evapotranspiration they release water into the atmosphere. Without this process, a main part of the global water cycle would be interrupted, causing droughts and desertification.
Who are EcoChoice?
EcoChoice are specialist suppliers of certified timber and recycled plastic products for exterior works, including cladding and decking. We were formed in 2005 with the aim of promoting FSC certified timbers to the UK construction industry, helping customers to engage in a sustainable way instead of turning away from both the deforestation and plastic waste problems. We offer products from a wide range of different timber species including Ekki, Greenheart, Cumaru, Iroko, Oak, Cedar and Larch.
We are passionate about supplying our clients with independently certified timber products while encouraging responsible and sustainable practices at the source level. To find out how we can help you and to get a quick, no obligation quote, please call us on 0345 638 1340, email us on email@example.com or for more information about our sustainable timber products, please visit our website https://www.ecochoice.co.uk/
*Source – Official FSC website